Journey Across Africa

Below you'll find stories of my two year experience as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the small West African country of The Gambia. After my service I traveled solo, with only a small backpack, across West Africa; reaching N'Djamena, Chad after two months. Visa problems for Libya and Civil unrest in the Darfur region of Western Sudan made Chad my last stop.

Peace Corps Service: Aug. 2003 - July 2005

Journey Across Africa: July 2005 - Sept. 2005

Name:
Location: Boston, MA, United States

Friday, October 31, 2003

Water Stories

Two little funny stories, a little connected:

NUMBER ONE
Tuesday night Kate, Greta, and I went to a local hole-in-the-wall restaurant called "Eddy's" which is a block away from where I live. At first I didn't think it was a restaurant until someone pointed it out. Their entire menu is hand-written in chalk on a board outside. You have your pick of one of three items: 1. Chicken and chips, 2. Fried Chicken, or 3. Baked Chicken. I guess you have to be in the mood to have chicken to go there, which we all were. We all ordered the Fried Chicken with to drink each one of us a Sprite and a tap water.

A few moments later two Sprites showed up, along with a bottle of tap water. We thought we ordered three Sprites with three tap waters. So, needed another Sprite along with three glasses for the bottle they gave us. Kate: "Excuse me, we ordered three Sprites and three tap waters. Can we please have one more Sprite, and three glasses for the water. Thank you."

Out came one Sprite with one glass.

Strike Number one.

A few moments later she tried to clarify the issue again Kate: [As she's holding up two fingers] "Can we please have two more glasses so all three of us can drink the water from the bottle. Thank you."
Out came one glass.

Strike two

We were about to give up when a few moments later Eddy came by. We figured we'd have better chance with him then the waitress.

Kate: [holding up one finger] "Yes. Can we please have one more glass for the tap water."

Out came the third and final glass.



NUMBER TWO

The next night, Wednesday, we all decided to go out again at another restaurant. This time it was AnnaMarie, Bear, Kate, and I. I was quite thirsty and so I ordered a bottle of tap water for a drink.

"You would like bottled water?"
"No. A bottle of tap water."
"Bottled water?"
"No. I'm really thirsty. I'm going to refill the glass a lot of times, I would like a bottle of tap water."

Both Bear and AnnaMarie tried also to explain to him that I did want a bottle of water (that you pay for), but an empty bottle that you filled with tap water, which would be free. Finally he said they don't do that for an individual, so I agreed to get a glass of tap water.

He delivered our drinks. I was the first to get my drink and by the time he laid the last drink down I asked for a refill. He took the now empty glass away and came back with a full drink and asked what we would like to order. By the time we were done ordering I needed another refill. He took our orders away and came back with another glass.

By the fourth refill he just gave me a bottle of tap water, which I asked for to begin with. I was now able to refill my own glass the rest of the meal.


That's about all the excitement so far. I'll write more about the classes.


-MIke

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home