Journey Across Africa

Below you'll find stories of my two year experience as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the small West African country of The Gambia. After my service I traveled solo, with only a small backpack, across West Africa; reaching N'Djamena, Chad after two months. Visa problems for Libya and Civil unrest in the Darfur region of Western Sudan made Chad my last stop.

Peace Corps Service: Aug. 2003 - July 2005

Journey Across Africa: July 2005 - Sept. 2005

Name:
Location: Boston, MA, United States

Monday, December 27, 2004

12/27/04

MONDAY
DECEMBER 27, 2004

Nothing of importance happened on this day. We all sat around watching TV enjoying every minute of it!

However, when I tried figuring out what happened on this day I e-mailed Cheeta wondering what she remembered. Her story:

--
Hmmm... I'm thinking... I remember the day before was Jessica Goldman's birthday. On the 27th, I was there and so were Jessica W. and Mary. I remember Mary stayed so that we could all watch “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy,” and it was the one where the guy tried to do that dance move and forgot to cut the oysters from the shells. Most people had left Sunday for Kombo with Fred or to go to Basse. Other than that, I don't recall anything exciting about that day. We didn't have Chris's DVD’s so I don't think we had any other movies to watch and I don't remember being overly excited about ones on TV. Hope that helps!
--

The show “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” is a comedy reality show. From the internet the summary is: Five gay men who specialize in fashion, food & wine, grooming, culture, and interior design go to the rescue of helpless straight men with no sense of fashion nor anything else and do a complete make over. At the beginning of each episode they show the chaotic house of the straight guy with his closet full of tasteless clothes and trash all over. Show his terrible looking dry long hair. Basically a man who cannot cook, who is not very sophisticated culturally, and is clueless about using the space he lives in. These five gay guys show the man their perceptions of how to fix all the problems pertaining the correspondent specialties.

That was what we did all day. The highlight of the evening was watching five gay men try to teach a straight man how to cut an oyster and to do a dance move to impress his girlfriend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home