Journey Across Africa

Below you'll find stories of my two year experience as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the small West African country of The Gambia. After my service I traveled solo, with only a small backpack, across West Africa; reaching N'Djamena, Chad after two months. Visa problems for Libya and Civil unrest in the Darfur region of Western Sudan made Chad my last stop.

Peace Corps Service: Aug. 2003 - July 2005

Journey Across Africa: July 2005 - Sept. 2005

Name:
Location: Boston, MA, United States

Friday, August 05, 2005

My dinner was the same as the cats...

Day 13
Sat 30th
Start: Somewhere in Southern Mauritania, before Kiffa [16 30 N 11 23 W]
Mid: Kiffa, Mauritania [16 30 N 11 23 W]
End: Ayoun el’Atrous, Mauritania [16 34 N 9 35 W]

After a no-reason-behind-it three hour break in Kiffa we arrived in Ayoun where there was a volunteer where I could stay at. After finally finding someone who know what I was talking about, and knew her I got in contact with her. Just the day before the cell phones where working so I was able to call, but starting today and for the next two days they were down. Good thing I called when I did.

She showed me another volunteers house, which I met in Nouakchott and how I was able to get in touch with her. He said I could stay at his house. She stipulated the only obligation was to feed the pet cat they had. For dinner the cat and I had the same dinner: water and a can of sardines. Different plates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home