Journey Across Africa

Below you'll find stories of my two year experience as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the small West African country of The Gambia. After my service I traveled solo, with only a small backpack, across West Africa; reaching N'Djamena, Chad after two months. Visa problems for Libya and Civil unrest in the Darfur region of Western Sudan made Chad my last stop.

Peace Corps Service: Aug. 2003 - July 2005

Journey Across Africa: July 2005 - Sept. 2005

Name:
Location: Boston, MA, United States

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Ouga to Bobo

Day 42
Sunday Aug 28
Start: Ougadougou, Burkina Faso
End: Bobo-Dioulasso, Burkina Faso

My only true detour on the trip started out with a bang. Literally. Of cymbals - from a marching band. I needed to cross the highway but was interrupted by two things: the bike race happening on both sides, and the military policemen stopping people from crossing. The military band, along with the officers, were sitting directly across from where I was and right in front of where I needed to go (the bus station). One of the guards realized my predicament and signalled me to cross when it was clear.

The 300-km ride took about five hours in an air conditioned bus. I was 'warned' about this the day earlier from Jake:

"Just take the bus. It's air-conditioned."
"Air conditioned? I don't want a tourist bus, I want the local bus."
"That IS the local bus!"

By 2 o'clock in the afternoon I arrived at "Casa Africa" a small hotel in the outskirts of town where I had room with bed, mosquito net, and fan for $8/night. Toilets and showers were outside. The owner asked if I wanted any food. "Let me take a nap first." I woke up 18 hours later and had my meal I promised; breakfast instead of lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home