Journey Across Africa

Below you'll find stories of my two year experience as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the small West African country of The Gambia. After my service I traveled solo, with only a small backpack, across West Africa; reaching N'Djamena, Chad after two months. Visa problems for Libya and Civil unrest in the Darfur region of Western Sudan made Chad my last stop.

Peace Corps Service: Aug. 2003 - July 2005

Journey Across Africa: July 2005 - Sept. 2005

Name:
Location: Boston, MA, United States

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Beirut, Lebanon

Went out to eat today at a Lebanese restaurant for lunch. When I entered the manager, realizing I was American, spoke perfect English to me and wanted to show me something. We walked to the other side of the restaurant where a picture of Beirut, Lebanon was shown.

“Ah! Beirut. Capital of Lebanon. This picture was taken in 1958. You see the green? The big park stretching the length of the city? Wonderful park! It’s no more. No park today. Over there it’s the American Hospital, over there is the American University, over there is the American School. American, American, American! ALL AMERICAN!”

I didn’t say a word.

He let out a disgruntled sigh, relaxed a bit and then did a complete 180 on emotions. “Please! Sit here! Would you like something to drink? Water, beer, soda?”

Other than the initial shock, it was quite a pleasant lunch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home