Journey Across Africa

Below you'll find stories of my two year experience as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the small West African country of The Gambia. After my service I traveled solo, with only a small backpack, across West Africa; reaching N'Djamena, Chad after two months. Visa problems for Libya and Civil unrest in the Darfur region of Western Sudan made Chad my last stop.

Peace Corps Service: Aug. 2003 - July 2005

Journey Across Africa: July 2005 - Sept. 2005

Name:
Location: Boston, MA, United States

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Off to the Doctor's!

My first full day in Niamey my ear was bugging me. By later that night I felt my left ear and looked at my hands. "That ain't right!" I said as I saw small amounts blood. It wasn't a lot and there was nothing I could do until the next day anyways so I went to bed.

I was originally suppose to catch the next bus upcountry to visit a volunteer, but this changed the plans a bit. The next morning I went to the Peace Corps Office hoping to talk to the Medical Officer. While he listened to my case he was, by law, not able to help me since I wasn't a volunteer anymore. I knew that going in, but hoped he could help in some other way. He recommended another doctor I go see and wrote down his information.

The Clinic I was told to visit was on the edge of town, near the banks of the Niger River. The taxi driver passed beat-up neighborhoods; corrugated tin houses; military barracks before arriving at the clinic. Any thoughts of how 'third-world' it would be dissappeared when I walked in. The outside wasn't impressive, but the inside told the story of a clean facility with knowledgeable doctors and nurses. The specific doctor the PC doctor told me to see wasn't in yet so I waited. By four o'clock he showed up. We walked to his office and I saw, by his nameplate, that he was the Director of Medicine in the clinic. That's good to know. His English was understandable and he understood mine perfectly.

Ear infection. He tried to explain what it was, but I already knew. One good thing about having ear infections as a kid is that when your twenty-five in Africa and the native French speaking doctor can't remember the English words for 'Cochlea' or 'Eustachian Tube' you're able to help out. He wrote out the prescriptions for the medicines and told they were available at any pharmacy, just show them the Rx - no French required.

The visit cost 11,000 CFA, or about $25. The drugs cost an additional $75. As a kid I cringed at the thought of those ear drops three times daily when an infection occurred. Now, I have to do it to myself!

A few days later, as I was exploring town, I saw the National Hospital. It was more run down then some of the houses! Nigeriens were waiting outside, taxis were pulling in and out of the area and I didn't bother going inside. A little research later found out that the clinic I went to was the best in the country - and I was treated by the Director of Medicine! I felt good about that, just some backpacker travelling through seeing one of the best doctors in the country. Then the thought occured - for a common ear infection! The analogy that came to mind was in the card game of War: You play an Ace, your opponent a two.

While you're a volunteer they pay for everything: doctor visits, medicine, and transportation. They will (and have) fly you to another country for a tooth ache; or fly you back to the United States for a simple operation. However, once you finish your service you're on your own. That $100+ I spent, while a lot less than it could be in the US, hurt a little bit. Could have been a nice side-trip or a few good meals. It was worth it though...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home