Journey Across Africa

Below you'll find stories of my two year experience as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the small West African country of The Gambia. After my service I traveled solo, with only a small backpack, across West Africa; reaching N'Djamena, Chad after two months. Visa problems for Libya and Civil unrest in the Darfur region of Western Sudan made Chad my last stop.

Peace Corps Service: Aug. 2003 - July 2005

Journey Across Africa: July 2005 - Sept. 2005

Name:
Location: Boston, MA, United States

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

This is the song that never ends...

During the drive from Niger to Chad we drove mostly eight hours a day. This was split between two hours in the morning, ending around 10am, and then waiting in the shade until 4pm before setting out again for six more hours before calling it good for the day. If you drove during those six hours your engine would surely overheat, as the desert heat can be quite harsh.

The car I was in was lucky, it had a tape player. I was unlucky enough that of the multitude of tapes they could choose from, from about six or so, they chose one and played it continuously. The first time around it was nice and pleasant, the second time it sounded familiar, and by the third time I was thinking "Haven't we heard this before?". By the fifth hour I'm wondering if they're deaf, as surely hearing the same half-dozen sounds again and again for so long would drive any hearing-able man crazy. Nope, they chatted along.

Eight hours, same six songs.

Next day: I see them put in a tape. "Please let it be a different tape" I'm begging in my head. The same tape, again. As I'm passing in and out of napping I could almost tell exactly how long we've been on the road, by which song we were at and how many times previously I had heard it that day. For the next eight hours I tried to block it out.

Third day: This is the final leg of the trip before reaching N'Djamena. Four people, myself including, are scrunched in the back; while two more are up front. Someone suggests a tape to play. They put it in. I could tell it's not the same tape! I'm getting excited! "Finally!" I was thinking. Nope, the tape doesn't work - out comes the default.

By seven o'clock in the evening we're in N'Djamena at the driver's house. We're relaxing on mats out in front, drinking tea, and just watching nightlife pass us by. They brought out a portable tape player from inside and pushed play.

I went to bed as there's no way I was listening to those same songs again!

FINALLY, the next morning Ali's driving me into town and to the Peace Corps Office. He puts in a tape and push play while I got ready to drown it out.

No, woman, no cry;
No, woman, no cry;
No, woman, no cry;
No, woman, no cry.

BOB MARLEY! I was so excited I started signing to the music! Bob Marley never sounded so good in my life. I have a feeling I would have sung to Madonna had he put it in - listening to over 20 hours straight of the same six songs really drives you crazy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home